HowSaturated Fat Affects Your Body, Health & Fitness.
Saturated fat is a type of fat that forms a part of our diet. It is considered to be an unhealthy fat that can negatively affect your body. Fats are an important part of our diet and must be included for a balanced diet. There are three types of fats, namely saturated, unsaturated, and trans fats. Of these, saturated fats are considered unhealthy while trans fats are considered extremely bad for health. Unsaturated fats are good for health.
Saturated Fat: An Overview
Saturated fats are mainly found in animal products, though they can be found even in a few plant products. Saturated fats are found in milk and milk products like cheese. They are also found in meat and oils like coconut oil and palm oil. It must be noted that saturated fat is also found in nuts and chicken that are considered healthy. However, the amount of saturated fat is less.
The main sources of saturated fat include:
- Butter, desserts made from milk, and whole milk.
- Pizza with cheese.
- Sausage, bacon, and beef.
- Lamb, pork, and poultry with skin.
- Cookies and other such desserts.
- Fast food products.
Saturated Fat and Health
Per se, saturated fat is not bad for health. Certain types of saturated fat can be eaten. However, moderation must be exercised. It is important to understand the negative effects of saturated fat on health.
- Saturated fat is believed to increase LDL cholesterol levels. This is bad cholesterol that can cause heart disease.
- It was believed that saturated fats cause stroke and heart attack, Studies have however not been able to conclusive prove this.
- Some studies that shown that saturated fat can lead to inflammation.
There are conflicting opinions about the health risks caused by saturated fat. But there is no doubt that when taken in excess, it is definitely bad.
Should You Eat Saturated Fat?
To answer this, we can take a look at the recommendations of the American Heart Association.
- Saturated fat like red meat and milk products can be eaten but must be consumed in moderation. It is recommended that not more than 6% of the calories you consume should come for saturated fat. If your average calorie consumption is 2500 calories per day, then saturated fats must not be more than 120 calories. This is around 13 grams per day.
- It is suggested to replace saturated fats with unsaturated fats. You should therefore eat more of the following:
- Whole grains.
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Lean meat and poultry without the skin.
- Low-fat milk products.
- Beans and legumes.
We can conclude that eating saturated fat is not dangerous, but eating it in excess can put your health at risk.
Does Eating Saturated Fat Really Cause Insulin Resistance? – Dr.Berg
Martín Lozano, the Founder of FitnessLife Kings Magazine, brings a wealth of experience in fitness journalism and a passion for promoting healthier lifestyles for men. With a commitment to providing objective and informative content, Lozano established FitnessLife Kings as a leading resource in the fitness industry. His dedication to empowering individuals on their wellness journey is evident in the magazine's focus on inspiring stories and expert insights. Lozano's vision for a supportive community resonates through FitnessLife Kings, shaping it into a go-to destination for men seeking a more active and balanced lifestyle.